So, here’s my Year in the Rear View…
My 2012 New Year’s Resolutions
- ‘Lead a Women’s Bible Study’ – I did this! I met with 4 AMAZING women & we dug deep into Hebrews & each other’s lives.
- ‘Attend a Theology Study’ – I did this! 3 close friends of mine started meeting once/week to study Systematic Theology. I mostly nod & smile.
- ‘Read the Bible in a Year’ – No, BUT…I used daily reading plans from YouVersion’s iPhone app. A lot less reading and butt-kicking involved.
- ‘Run the Bridge Non-Stop’ – Wah Wah Wah. My sad ole arthritic feet got the best of me more than usual last year. Somebody rub my bunions!
- ‘Hand Write Letters to Friends & Family Monthly’ – No, BUT…I was much more intentional about keeping in touch. I created an alarm to go off daily at 3pm reminding me to, “Reach out to someone.”
- ‘Go to the Ride:Well Reunion’ – No, BUT... I did meet up with 2 of my teammates in person & kept up with most of them throughout the year.
- ‘Be a Better Girlfriend’ – I did this! I grabbed confidence by the horns and enveloped myself in the truth that I’m worth a heckuvawholelot more than I was settling for. Ladies, we’re worth the pursuit. Don’t settle.
- ‘Make Pasta from Scratch’ – What the what?! I must’ve been hungry when I wrote that. I have no desire to make pasta…like ever.
- ‘Volunteer to Help Others Get Jobs’ – I did this! I edited a lot of resumes and helped people see their bright spots and strengths.
- ‘Write More’ – Wah. Wah. Wah. This is my biggest regret of last year. I had a lot to say, but kept myself preoccupied with distractions.
- ‘Ride in a Hot Air Balloon’ – No. It’s something I’ve always wanted to do and hope to check it off my bucket list one day. Wanna take me?
- ‘Visit Out of State Family’ – No, BUT…I did take time out to email/text/call some of them a lot more than the year before. I miss them.
- ‘Go Camping/Hiking’ – Wah. Wah Wah. I need my hair to smell like a campfire and my belly to be full of s’mores soon. Let’s go!
- ‘Eat Healthy & Work Out’ – Huh? Wha? Look over there.
- ‘Help an At Risk Girl’ – I did this! She was actually a middle-aged woman and when we met she wanted to die. I was able talk her off the ledge.
- ‘Be on Time’ – I mostly did this. If I kept you waiting somewhere…I’m so sorry. If I beat you to our meeting spot…booyah!
- ‘Ride Another Century’ – Wah. Wah. Wah. Turns out, I don’t enjoy riding my bike alone. Ride with me?
A Few of My Favorite 2012 Moments
- Invited more people into my home and into my heart.
- Was part of the ’20 Seconds’ movement at Crosstowne Church.
- Shook off some dead weight from a toxic relationship.
- Began a fundraiser to help my friend buy a bike. He’s almost there…you can donate too!
- Took my 4 yo niece fishing. She caught a squishy, smelly ole fish with her hot pink, Barbie fishing rod!
- Went to Storyline in Nashville, TN. Fell more in love with the city, my story and Donald Miller’s passion.
- Watched a close friend’s marriage get ripped apart at the seams, but saw her rise up from the ashes an even stronger woman.
- Went to New Orleans for New Year’s Eve. It’s a town full of beauty, tragedy, darkness and hope.
- Began working on ideas for a simple, yet impactful community outreach. Stay tuned!
- Was blessed with amazing new friendships. The kind of friendships that make my heart beat a little stronger.
- Was a part of LoveGave Hope that raised over $113K for local orphanages.
2012 was chock full of ups, downs and even some flat lines. But, overall it was a year of growth and stretching. Kind of like soul yoga or was it like heart pilates? No matter which way you stretch it, it was a really good year and 2013 is already shaping up to be quite fantastic!
What about you? How was your 2012?
What are you looking forward to this year?